Why has it taken me so long to post this recipe? Avocado toast is such a staple go-to meal for me! It’s simple, nutrient-rich, satisfying, and doubles up as a great breakfast or lunch idea!
I love the simplicity of avocado toast. It takes just a short amount of time to throw together and comes packed with an excellent source of fiber, healthy fats, and protein, which are all important components of a well balanced meal. I rotate avocado toast frequently throughout my week because it’s so easy to switch it up by using different toppers, flavours, etc. I never get bored of it! I shared some fun alternative topping ideas in my recipe below for you to see for yourself, and I also included vegan options for any of you who follow a plant based diet. Vegan versions of avo toast are also so yum!
TNB’S FAV AVOCADO TOAST
Sharing one of my all-time favs with you today! This avocado toast is a delicious breakfast, or lunch, option that is also satisfying, delicious, and packed with an excellent source of protein, heart healthy fats, and filling fiber to help fuel you through your day.
Serves: 1 | Time: 10 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
- Toasted bread of choice – I like to toast two slices of Silver Hills sprouted bread, or one big slice of sourdough bread
- 1 or 2 eggs – poached, fried, or whatever preference you have
- 1/2 an avocado, ripe
- 2 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 to 3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Black pepper
- Chilli flakes
- Sprouts, garnish
Other Topping Ideas:
- Turkey bacon bits
- Balsamic vinegar, vegan friendly
- Almond feta, vegan friendly
- Pico de Gallo, vegan friendly
- Microgreens, vegan friendly
- Cilantro, vegan friendly
- Begin cooking your egg(s) whichever way you prefer. I like to preheat a skillet over the stove top on low-medium heat with avocado oil for a minute or two before I fry up my eggs. Another way I like my eggs on avo toast is poached medium, it just depends on what I’m feeling. Sometimes I’ll cook up two eggs, other days I’ll just cook one.
- While the egg(s) cook, pop your bread of choice into the toaster then mash 1/2 of an avocado onto a plate using the back of a fork and drizzle lemon juice over top. Make sure you don’t burn your bread during this time! Toast on low so it allows you enough time to mash up the avocado + drizzle the lemon juice.
- Spread the mashed avo onto toast.
- Place the egg(s) onto toast and add the rest of the toppings: halved cherry tomatoes, 2 to 3 cracks of black pepper, chilli flakes, and sprouts. Or top with any of the other toppings I listed above, or any preferred toppings of choice. Enjoy!
Thank you for checking out today’s post. If you try this recipe out, be sure to snap a pic and tag me on Instagram @jennalavassani so I can see your delicious creations!