These muffins are so chocolatey and delicious, and you would never guess they have beet and zuchinni in them! You guys flooded my DM’s asking for the recipe the second I posted them to my Instagram, so I’m here to deliver!
I hope you guys enjoy today’s recipe! We decided to also share a delicious chocolate avocado icing you could top these chocolate muffins with. Originally, my dad topped the chocolate muffins with his homemade chocolate cream cheese icing [which is also SO GOOD], but I know so many of you are dairy free or eating plant based, so I wanted to provide you with a bonus dairy free + vegan friendly icing option that is next level! In addition, we made one batch of the muffins dairy free, and one batch with the vegan-friendly substitutes, and they both taste amazing.
I love these muffins as a healthy snack option that also curbs the sweet tooth. You can easily enjoy these muffins without any topping , or add a topping of your choice— such as avocado icing, cream cheese frosting [simple recipe here], creamy natural almond butter, creamy natural peanut butter, etc. If you decide to skip the icing, I recommend adding in 1/2 cup dairy free/vegan-friendly chocolate chips, or berries, to the batter for an added touch of sweetness.
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BEET MUFFINS
Delicious, nutritious, chocolatey, and made with so much love. Dairy free + vegan friendly substitutes, plus a bonus avocado icing recipe! Made with whole food ingredients your body will love. Thanks for sharing Papa D!
Serves: 12 | Time: 35 minutes | Difficulty: Easy
- 2 eggs, or flax egg [see note below]
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup avocado oil
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
- 1 cup beets, shredded
- 1 cup all purpose baking flour, I like using Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/2 cup dairy free/vegan chocolate chips, or berries [optional]
Flax egg: Mix together 2 tbsp flax meal and 5 tbsp of water, let it sit for a minute or two to thicken then add to the mix!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large sized mixing bowl, combine the egg [or flax egg], coconut sugar, vanilla extract, avocado oil, shredded zucchini, and shredded beets.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: baking powder, baking soda, cacao powder, all-purpose flour.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients together in the large mixing bowl. You’ll want your batter to be a bit lumpy. Fold in the chocolate chips or berries if you desire!
- Line a medium sized 12 slot muffin tin and fill each one 3/4 full with muffin batter. Place in the oven for an estimated 18 minutes. Make sure to turn them around once you reach 9 minutes of baking time to ensure they bake evenly.
- After muffins are done baking, remove from the oven and let them cool for 15 minutes prior to serving/storing. To test and see if the muffins are ready, poke with a toothpick and if it comes out clean the muffins are done. I recommend storing muffins in the fridge for optimal freshness, especially if you’re adding avocado icing!
Bonus: Chocolate Avocado Icing Ingredients:
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 tbsp grass-fed butter, or dairy free/vegan butter alternative [i.e. buttery coconut oil]
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar, or preferred powdered sweetener of choice [i.e. monkfruit sweetener]
- Beat avocado + butter [or butter alternative] together until combined.
- Beat in vanilla extract, sea salt, and cacao powder.
- Slowly add in powdered sugar of choice. You may need to adjust the amount of sugar you add to get the right consistency. Start with smaller amounts, and slowly add more while mixing everything together.
- Sread icing onto muffins, and store any left overs in the freezer for another day. If you find your icing consistency is a bit runny, pop into the fridge for 5 or so minutes to let it set a bit.
I hope you enjoy this delicious + chocolatey recipe! If you whip these up, be sure to snap a photo and tag me on Instagram so I can see your creations!
Jenna + Papa D XO