Jenna Lavassani dressed in summer clothes with a wide brim hat smiling.

Common questions I get asked revolve around my food and fitness values, and I thought this would be the perfect place for me to respond with something meaningful for you.

Health and wellness is diverse and not tailored to only one individual. A good state of health means something different to me than it does to you, and it might also look a lot different in daily life. We are unique, complex individuals who have different needs, desires, daily activities, and health status. That said, I do believe the similarity we share in this beautiful community is the ambition to take care of ourselves so we can live our best life to the fullest.

I know I want to feel amazing in my body, and I’m a firm believer that the food we eat, the way we move, and the thoughts that go through our mind impacts everything around us—  how we fall asleep, the way we feel when we wake up, our energy + stress levels, our immune system, how we work, how we relax, and so on and so forth. 

Over the years of finding my own balance, I’ve really gotten to know and understand my body more and more [and I still learn more and more all the time]. At the end of the day, it’s all about incorporating simple healthy habits into daily life that are sustainable and feel more like a natural part of you.

Here are 4 staple guidelines that work effectively for me when it comes to living a healthy lifestyle that feels free, balanced, nonrestrictive, and like a natural part of me:

1. BYE-BYE DIETS, FASTING, FADS: I’ve learnt that diets just don’t work for me. It makes me feel weak, moody, and unwell. It’s just not a sustainable option for me. Reduced energy and nutrient intake can trigger feelings of anxiety, fatigue, isolation, and constant preoccupation with food. I have been so fortunate to meet and learn from some really knowledgeable professionals in the nutrition field who have helped give me proper guidance on fuelling my body for my specific needs. To give you some insight, the majority of the time I focus on eating an abundance of nutrient dense foods [quality protein, healthy fats, veggies, complex (fiber-rich) carbs] because that’s what makes me feel good and vital. However, I like to give myself some free space for whatever comes my way. This method is also known as the 80/20 approach— 80% of the time it’s a variety of nutrient-dense foods, while the other 20% is for wiggle room. I personally find that having some sort of structure and guidance that is relaxed helps me stick to eating healthfully as a lifestyle.

2. SCHEDULE WORKOUTS: It’s so true when people say the hardest part of working out is actually getting there. You never regret a good workout though! To be honest, sometimes the thought of a workout seems so daunting for me. I have a lot going on in my life at this moment between school, work, content creating/blogging, and chill time. Getting myself in the habit of scheduling in my workouts has helped immensely in this department. I’ve gotten myself into the habit of checking my calendar for the week ahead to get a visual of where I can make time for workouts, then I use the MINDBODY app on my phone to book workout classes and schedule them into my calendar [it’s an app you can use to search for fitness studios/classes in your area]. If it’s not a workout class I’ll block off time in my calendar for any type of movement I’m feeling, even if it’s just from home and only for 20 minutes. Regardless, when something is in my calendar it helps keep me committed and on top of important things.

3. BUDDY UP: When I’m in need of extra motivation, I turn to people who have a positive impact on my life, like my husband. If there are things in your life that are more challenging when doing them alone [i.e. trying to eat better, exercising], consider partnering up with someone who can either do things with you or help keep you accountable in a positive way— whether it be your spouse, friend, family member, coworker, roommate, etc. Doing things together can help make new habits feel like more of a lifestyle than a chore.

4. DON’T BE SO SERIOUS: Seriously [no pun intended]! Take the pressure off yourself, it isn’t helping you. Smile, laugh, enjoy the moment, and don’t take things too seriously. Feed your soul with positivity— smile at someone, have a good hard laugh, and never stop the practice of being present in each moment. I personally find it so much easier to live well when the pressure is off and my smile is on.

Thank you for reading today’s post, I hope you enoyed! Do you have any philosophies or guidelines that encourage you to live your best life? Comment below to share, I would love to hear!

Jenna XO

Photo Credit: Brittni Rose Image

Leave a Reply