Traveling is one of my favourite things to do in life— I love seeing new places, experiencing different cultures and lifestyles, and of course checking out different food scenes.
Whenever I travel my typical routine gets shifted around in one way or another— especially if I’m traveling to destinations in different time zones. I personally like to have some sort of structure and routine in my daily life to help me feel my best, and because of this, I like to make sure I pack a few staple wellness essentials with me to help support my overall well-being when I travel.
Here are 10 things I’m currently packing when it comes to travel…
1. Protein Powder Packets: It can be challenging to eat balanced when travelling because you really don’t know what kind of food is going to be available. Packing along protein powder packets helps ensure I am getting my daily dose. I personally like to start my day with some sort of protein, which is why protein powder packets are an essential for me to pack. I have had a few instances when traveling where I couldn’t manage to get a good source of protein in, and this affects my body and how I feel because protein is something I routinely consume in the mornings— it helps me feel more satiated and balanced. I like to pack along Vital Proteins collagen stick packs because they are small enough to throw into your bag or purse, and they are easy to rip open and stir into your coffee or water. I also like Garden of Life Canada protein powder packets [in vanilla of course] because they are tasteful, loaded with nutrition, and also easy to pack along.
2. Immune Boosters: It’s easy for the immune system to become compromised when traveling as there are many factors that can contribute to illness when traveling— such as change in environment and schedule, coming in contact with different bacteria and viruses, fatigue, jet-lag, stress, etc. I try to boost my immune system as much as possible before traveling, however, I still like to pack extra vitamin C for immune defense and B-Complex to help combat stress and fatigue. A few immune boosters I like to pack are AOR Vitamin C and AOR Advanced B Complex Ultra. AOR is an evidence-based, research-backed nutritional supplement company that is most trusted here in Canada. I also can’t go without my Sealicious Ultra Omega-3 double strength with vitamin D3 for overall immune support. Each serving of this omega supplement contains algae Astaxanthin— a potent antioxidant carotenoid that plays a critical role in modulating the immune response (source).
3. Probiotics: It’s important to keep healthy bacteria alive when traveling abroad to help support regular digestion and a strong immune system for any pathogens you might encounter. Traveling can affect the composition of the intestinal microflora due to factors like jet-lag, unfamiliar food, and altered circadian rhythms. I personally like to pack Genestra HMF Travel Probiotic when traveling. It’s research-driven and does not require any refrigeration which is super convenient! Some probiotics require refrigeration to ensure the stability of the microorganisms, which can be unsuitable for traveling with if you don’t have easy access to a refrigerator or you’re on a plane for hours on end. HMF Travel is a shelf-stable probiotic capsule that is easy to take anywhere to help support digestive health.
4. Sleep Regulator: The number one thing that becomes compromised when traveling to different time zones is sleep. I like to do everything I can, and quickly, to help regulate my sleeping patterns so I can enjoy my travels to the fullest. I like to rely on a natural sleep aid, and one I have personally found very effective is AOR Ortho Sleep. This natural supplement is an award winning premium sleep and relaxation supplement. In addition, it contains a carefully formulated blend of nutrients and compounds that have been shown to be effective in combating insomnia, restoring a proper circadian rhythm and promoting healthy, restful sleep.
5. Sleepmask: While we are on the topic of sleep, a lot of hotel rooms have electronics and little lights that can prevent you from falling into that deep REM sleep that is so important. Proper sleep helps keep our hormones and blood sugar levels more balanced. A quality sleepmask is super helpful for encouraging good sleep. I like to bring along my Silk Sleepmask— it’s made of pure high-quality silk, doesn’t rub off your evening skin care creams/serums, and has anti-aging benefits. It’s super soft on the face and eyes, natural, hypoallergenic, dust mite-resistant, allows the skin to breathe [so important], and does not contain any toxic dyes.
6. Reusable Water Bottle: Traveling by plane, being on the go-go, and jet-lag are all factors that can lead to dehydration. Packing an empty reusable water bottle with you and refilling it wherever you go is important for staying well hydrated when traveling. Hydroflask and S’well both make great reusable water bottles that can hold hot/cold liquids, plus they come in fun colours which makes drinking water more appealing [IMO]!
7. Electrolytes: As someone who lives an active lifestyle, I know whenever I travel there’s either going to be a lot of sunshine and sweating [hello Mexico], or a decent amount of walking/activity involved [hello Europe]. I like to bring along electrolyte packets that are easy to mix into water to help stay on top of my hydration, especially when I’m traveling somewhere hot where I might be sweating more. Ener-C makes a delicious Sport Electrolyte Drink Mix in a delicious berry flavour that’s easy to pack and use on the go.
8. Anti-inflammatory: When I’m traveling, especially to Europe, you better believe I’ll be enjoying my wine! Alcohol and different foods can rank high on the inflammatory scale, and because of this I like to pack some sort of anti-inflammatory boost with me when I travel to help ease inflammation from any foods/alcohol I consume. Four Sigmatic Mushroom Golden Latte Mix packets are perfect for travel. These packets are tasteful, loaded with antioxidant + anti-inflammatory properties, and all you have to do is mix with hot or cold water, depending on what you fancy! I love making a cup in the evening before bed, it’s so comforting and calming.
9. Essential Oils: Essential oils are such a big part of my life. I can’t travel anywhere without my Saje Wellness Pocket Farmacy kit— it’s a must-have for me. It comes with roller bombs that contain essential oil blends designed to support overall wellness. There’s a roller bomb in this kit for any ailment— stress relief, immune support, pain relief, headache relief, and digestive relief. It’s an all-in-one kit that I get a ton of use out of when traveling [and on the daily].
10. Gastric Relief: A solid digestive relief supplement is crucial when traveling. You never really know how your body will react to different foods while you’re away and out of routine. It’s no fun at all when digestive discomforts like heartburn, indigestion, or gastritis occur. AOR Gastro Relief is a supplement both my husband and I rely on for relieving any digestive upsets. It’s fast acting, helps heal gastric lining, and protects the esophagus. Gastro Relief is a great alternative to antacids and conventional medications that helps reduce symptoms of heartburn, promotes proper digestion, and decreases stomach pain while promoting healing to the tissues that become damaged.
Note: Always consult with a professional before introducing any new supplements into your lifestyle.
Thank you for reading today’s post, I hope you enjoyed! Do you have any must-have wellness essentials when it comes to travel? Leave me a comment below, I would love to hear!