My ultimate mission is to inspire my readers to lead a healthy lifestyle by incorporating simple wellness habits into daily life. I believe that when you take care of yourself from the inside out, and do your very best to make it a daily effort, you allow yourself to flourish into the best version of you.
Ahh wellness, the word that means something different to everyone. The official definition of wellness is “the state of being in good health, especially as an actively pursued goal.” For myself, wellness it to live happily, healthfully, and balanced because that is what makes me feel like I am in a good state of health. I ask myself every single day “what can I do today, or this week, to help promote a happy and healthy life?”
Unfortunately our health and well-being seems to be the number one thing that becomes neglected— especially in today’s modern world. This means we need to really look at our priorities and what we can do daily to help change this. Building regimes into your lifestyle that help promote your well-being, that you can also keep consistent in your life, is one of the best ways to start living a better and more vibrant life. When you set goals that are unrealistic and unattainable, you’re more likely to throw in the towel and think it isn’t possible to accomplish between everything else going on in your life. This is why I believe the key to living well is to set small healthy habits you can maintain on the daily so you can feel amazing, create some balance, and live your best life!
1. Stretch: Dedicate some time in your day to stretching out your body. Stretching helps increase range of motion of the joints, is effective for the maintenance and enhancement of exercise performance and flexibility, helps prevent injury, and brings the body to a state of calm. A lot of us spend the majority of our day at our desk hunched over or looking down at our devices, taking some time in your day to focus on flexibility by doing some simple stretching movements can help undo the damage. Some basic yoga movements are a great place to start. Tara Stiles was the first yoga guru I ever watched on YouTube— she taught me so much! Here is one of her basic yoga stretch YouTube videos that takes only 5 minutes (you definitely have time for this no matter how busy your life is)!
2. Move Daily + Find Workouts that you Love: Overwhelming evidence demonstrates that lifelong exercise is associated with a longer health span, delaying chronic disease (source). Movement helps us perform better, feel better, and can help prevent injury. It’s beneficial to your overall health to get in the habit of moving your body daily, and it doesn’t always have to be at a high impact level either. Low impact exercise counts too! Alternating between high intensity and low intensity workouts can help your body feel challenged. You don’t need to be doing what everyone else is doing either when it comes to what form of exercise you choose for your lifestyle. Focus on the type of workouts that leave you feeling happy, healthy, challenged, and strong. It’ll be easier to stick to some sort of fitness regime when it involves exercising in a way that makes you want to keep coming back for more.
3. Greens Smoothie Once a Day: Challenge yourself to blend up one greens smoothie per day! This is such an easy way to add more greens into your diet to help you feel more vital. A really easy greens blend to start with can look something like this:
- 1 cup almond mylk [or preferred plant based mylk]
- 2 handfuls dark leafy greens [aim for kale, spinach, chard]
- 1/2 cup frozen berries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries [berries are also a great way to add more fiber + antioxidant rich whole foods into your day]
- 1/2 frozen banana OR 1/4 an avocado [adds creaminess and thickens up smoothie]
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed [loaded with omega 3’s, lignans, fiber, and plant protein]
- 1 scoop vanilla plant based protein powder [adds more protein to your diet and adds flavour]
Add all ingredients to a blender and blend away until smooth and creamy!
4. Drink More Water: Proper hydration is vital for your health and there are many reasons why you should be drinking adequate amounts of water daily. Here are some important roles of water in the human body:
- Increases metabolism
- Transports nutrients from our food (water-soluble vitamins)
- Dissolves other substances in the body (acts as a solvent)
- Cellular rejuvenation, reproduction, and survival
- Cellular membrane function
- Thermoregulation (sweating)
- Eases digestion
- Breaks food down and carries waste products
- Lubrication of joints
- Acts as a shock absorber
- Enhances the function of nerve cells
- Moistens mucosal membranes which line many tracts and structures human body
I’ve got an entire blog post dedicated to tips on how to keep hydrated here if you’re interested in reading more!
5. Let Go of Perfection: Your body doesn’t need negativity— positive thoughts help feed positive behavior. For example, if you eat unhealthy, or skip out on your workout, instead of beating yourself up over it shift your thinking pattern and tell yourself how great you have been doing. Tomorrow is a new day and you can hop back to nutritious food and get some movement in. It’s really not the end of the world. Focus on what you’ve accomplished and how far you have come. It’s so easy to beat ourselves up over things, but it’s just not worth it.
Thank you for reading today’s post! You can follow me over on Instagram for more wellness in everyday life. Have an amazing day!
Photo credit: Brittni Rose Image