While not every morning is the exact same for me, I have a few non-negotiable habits set in place when it comes to kick-starting my day.
It can be challenging to put ourselves first sometimes, I totally get it, but it’s still so important. There are a few habits I like to integrate into my morning that I will not pass up. These rituals ensure I am putting myself first and setting myself up for a positive productive day ahead.
Growing literature has demonstrated the relevance of habit-formation principles to health and overall wellness. I think it’s important to set a few staple regimes into your morning that leave you feeling good and ready so you can give off your best for the day ahead. Especially when your days are going to be busy and your schedule is slammed.
Taking time for myself is a way I put myself first before I give my time to everyone/everything else. When I feel healthy and good about myself, I’m able to give off my best. When I don’t take care of myself properly, other areas of my life become affected negatively and it makes me feel like I am unable to give off my full potential. This is where my healthy morning habits come into play!
I’m an early riser because I like to make time for myself in the morning before I begin my day. I’m awake between 5:30am – 6:30am most mornings because I have a lot going on almost every day of the week, and I refuse to let my schedule take over my health. Getting up earlier gives me extra time to myself each day. It’s rare for me to sleep in because I don’t like rolling out of bed and rushing out the door. That just DOES NOT work for me. We all go about our days differently, therefore, what my morning looks like will be different from what your morning looks like. My intention for today’s blog post is to inspire you to build a few simple habits into your morning, however it may look, that leave you feeling healthy and energized so you can set yourself up for an amazing day ahead and give off your best.
1. WAKE UP, CHILL, MAKE THE BED: When I first wake up, I like to give myself a few extra moments to just lay in bed and be. I take a few conscious breaths and practice gratitude by being grateful for where I’m at and all the amazing things in life that can often be taken for granted. How lucky are we to wake up each day? It’s a blessing. This practice helps set a positive tone for the day ahead, and it’s so important for me because lately my days are jam packed and sometimes I won’t have a quiet moment to myself again until the evening [cue evening rituals]. Once I get up I like to immediately make the bed— it seriously makes a difference in how I carry out my day, I highly recommend trying this habit out!
2. DIFFUSER + SKIN CARE: This step in my morning leaves me feeling amazing, I genuinely get so excited to turn on my diffuser in the morning. It’s the ultimate way to begin the day if you ask me, it’s not only easy, but also takes just a few seconds to do. The use of essential oils to stimulate the olfactory system can create a state of calmness and help to alleviate anxiety (source). I like to diffuse citrus aromas in the morning if we are being specific. I find them invigorating and awakening— citrus aromas are also great for easing anxiety and stress. Nobody want’s to begin the day on a stressed out, anxious note. While my diffuser starts going, I go and wash my face and complete my skin care regime (a definite favourite part of my morning). It takes me between 5 and 10 minutes to complete my skin care routine. I like to take my time and really go through the motions and massage my face. It feels very awakening for me, and I like to make sure my products get absorbed fully. By the time I am done with my skin care regime the diffuser has made the room smell amazing, which makes me feel amazing! The combination of good skin care and smelling citrus aromas really energizes me for the day ahead. I have contemplated so many times doing a blog post on my skin care regime, but my skin is constantly changing due to many factors— environment, stressors, time of year, time of month, etc. That said, I do have a few staple skin care products that I always bring back, so maybe I’ll share those ones with you in the future if you’re interested, as opposed to a full out skin care regime because it’s never the exact same.
3. HYDRATE + ELEVATED COFFEE: These two are non-negotiable for me. It’s another part of my morning I look forward to because it’s also energizing and sets me up for the day ahead. I like to keep a water bottle filled up by my bedside, or filled up ready to go in the fridge. This way it’s in my face in the morning and it’s an instant reminder to get hydrated. It’s a simple and effective ritual that keeps me on top of my water intake. I have a blog post that covers my 10 Tips to Keep Hydrated if you’re interested in reading more! On average, I get at least 3 to 4 cups of water in first thing in the morning, it’s just what I’m used to and what makes me feel well hydrated. How I hydrate varies too, some mornings I like just plain water, other mornings I want water with some fresh squeezed lemon juice, and sometimes it’s a big green juice made with lots of hydrating ingredients and water. It depends on what my body is asking for. The next big thing for me is my elevated coffee! I live for it. It’s so delicious, satisfying, and energizing for me. I like to blend my coffee with plant based mylk and some sort of fat. Let me know if you guys would like to see a blog post on why I like to add fat to my coffee. Lately I’ve been on a Vital Proteins Collagen Creamer kick and am sharing my recipe details below!
- 1 cup organic brewed coffee
- 1 cup unsweet almond milk, or dairy free milk of choice
- 1 scoop Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Creamer
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract, non alcoholic
- Heat unsweet plant based milk of choice in a small saucepan over stove on low.
- Brew coffee of choice
- Combine heated milk, brewed coffee, and the rest of the ingredients into a simple blender and blend until frothy.
- Pour into your fav morning mug and enjoy!
NOTE: If you are more of a matcha person, swap out the coffee for matcha and you’ve got yourself a delicious Vanilla Matcha Collagen Latte!
4. COMPUTER WORK: I like to take at least 10 minutes to myself with my coffee, then I’ll head to my computer and get some work done. This time can vary depending on what needs to be accomplished. I try to get any computer related work done within an hour to an hour and a half [emails, blogging, etc]. If I’m spending my time studying for school, or working on projects, it can be up to hours on end that I have to be at my computer. Sometimes this part of my day gets broken up if it’s going to consume a lot of my time because I don’t like my entire morning to be taken by it. I will go get some movement in and eat something [or visa versa], then get back to it.
5. MOVEMENT: Daily movement for me is so important, and I prefer it in the earlier part of the day. There are some days my workout might get kicked to the later afternoon, but I do prefer my evenings to be more calm and dedicated to self-care. Exercise has been an important aspect of my life since I was young. I played sports from a very young age, and into my adult years I always kept some sort of fitness habit because it makes me feel healthy and lively. My dad has always been a super active person who enjoys a healthy lifestyle— he’s definitely been a positive role model in my life. I am not dedicated to one style of exercise either, however, I do really enjoy the stair master, kick-boxing, outdoor walks/hikes, yoga, and weight-training.
6. FUEL: As in breakfast time! This is such an important step for me when kick-starting my morning. Fuelling your body with nutritious foods is crucial for not only energy and overall health, but for optimal human functioning and flourishing. Some mornings I won’t eat until after my workout, and other mornings I eat well before my workout, it really depends on what’s going on with my day. A typical quick and easy breakfast for me is a simple smoothie loaded with a lot of nourishing ingredients. The Creamy Pineapple Ginger Greens Smoothie is a classic blend for me, I sometimes alter the ingredients slightly, but as a guide that is how I layout most of my breakfast smoothies— essentially I like to make sure my smoothies are packed with healthy fats, filling fiber, plant protein so I can be fuelled for hours until my next meal. I like to nourish my body with meals I can rely on for energy and fullness before I head out for my day, this way I don’t have to worry about going hungry before my next meal.
Thank you for reading today’s post! How do you kick-start your mornings? Do you have any non-negotiable regimes set in place, or do you just roll with the day? Comment below to share. I hope you have an amazing day!